Marble floors can offer a touch of beauty and elegance to any room of the house.
A bathroom particularly looks sleek with marble tiles. But you need to clean the tiles regularly otherwise they can turn into an eyesore.
Here we have listed some tips for cleaning marble floor tiles in the bathroom.
After going through them all you will know how to clean and maintain the polished look of the floors as effectively as possible.
Regular cleaning of the marble floors will ensure that the tiles will look their best for years.
Getting Rid of Stains from Marble Floors
One of the cons of having marbles in the bathroom has to deal with stains around the toilet and sink.
The good thing is that it is easy to get rid of stains.
Remove Dark Stains from Marble Tiles
To remove dark stains from the marble, you should consider using a marble poultice.
Below are the materials and steps required to create the poultice for cleaning the marble tiles in the bathroom.
- Glass bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Baking soda
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Wooden spoon
- Plastic spatula
- Masking Tape
- Mineral Water
You must first add a cup of hydrogen peroxide to a mixing bowl. You may add more than a cup in case the stain covers a large area in the toilet. Next, add baking soda and mineral water to the bowl.
About one pound of poultice is required to clean a square foot of stain. So, you must add an appropriate amount of mixture.
Mix the solution using a spatula until the poultice acquires a thick constituency similar to peanut butter.
Now, wipe the stain to remove the dirt and grime from the floor. This step is important as leaving the dirt can scratch the marble surface.
Cover the stain with a small amount of water. A wet marble is important as it will allow the poultice to penetrate the marble pores thereby removing the stain.
Make sure that no air pockets are present in the poultice.
Apply the poultice to the stained area then cover it completely using plastic wrap. You should use masking tape to secure the edges of the wrap.
Wait for about 48 hours to let the poultice dry out and harden and then remove the plastic wrap and masking tape.
Next, add about a quarter cup of water over the area where the poultice was applied.
Remove the wet poultice from the marble tiles using a spatula and then dry the area completely.
Remove Light Stains from Marble Tiles
You can get rid of light stains on the marble floor by cleaning the floor using baking soda. You should use a soft, cloth to gently rub the surface.
Avoid scrubbing the tiles with a rough cloth as it can damage the surface.
Rinse the marble tiles using cold water. The water will neutralize the alkaline thereby preventing damage to the surface. You should next dry the spot using a soft towel.
Remember not to leave the baking soda on the marble tiles for too long. It is important to rinse the floor immediately after cleaning the floor.
Letting baking soda sit on the surface for long will dampen the glossy finish of the tiles.
Removing Dirt and Dust
Dirt and dust that has accumulated over time must be removed from the marble tiles.
But you need to be careful to use the right material to clean the marble tiles without causing any scratches.
Consider buying a dust mop with a long handle and microfiber at the end. The microfiber will collect dust, dirt, and hair from the marble tiles in the bathroom.
The cloth is gentle to the marble surface, preventing any scratches from appearing on the surface.
An alternative is a flared broom that you can use for sweeping the surface. The ends of the flared broom appear like split-ends that efficiently pick up dust from the floor.
Note: Don’t use a vacuum cleaner on the marble tile. The rough brushes of a vacuum cleaner can cause scratches to appear. They can damage the porous surface of the marble tiles. If you want to use a vacuum cleaner, you should select one with a rubberized wheel that won’t damage the tiles. Also, you should not apply too much pressure when cleaning the marble tiles in the bathroom.
Washing Marble Tiles
You should consider washing marble floors in the bathroom once a month.
However, you should not use rough brushes or harsh chemicals for cleaning the marble floors.
Here are the materials and steps required to wash the marble tiles.
- Soap (pH-neutral)
- Hot water for washing tiles
- Soft mop with microfiber end
- Regular water for rinsing tiles
- A clot to dry tiles
Create a soapy solution by adding soap to a bucket of water. The reason for using a pH-neutral cleaner is to avoid any damage to the floor.
Marble is a porous material, due to which a strong detergent can cause a stain or cracks to appear. You should wet the mop using the soapy solution and then clean the floor.
Some mops have special cartridges that you can fill with the solution for easy cleaning.
Start mopping at the farthest end of the bathroom and work your way towards the exit. Consider short strokes and dip in the bucket often to avoid spreading grime on the floor.
Once you have finished mopping, you should rinse the floor using a bucket full of clean water. Follow the same procedure in using the mop to rinse the floor.
Note: Make sure that you use hot water to wash the floors. Boil some hot water in a kettle. Using hot boiling water will effectively remove the grime and disinfect the surface.
Another tip when washing the marble floor is to use distilled water. Water that is distilled doesn’t have any impurities.
As a result, the water won’t stain or discolor the marble tiles after washing. You can buy distilled water from your local grocery store.
Change the water in the bowl when the water looks dirty. This is important otherwise the floor will get dirty again when using murky water to mop the floor.
Lastly, you should dry the marble tiles completely after mopping and rinsing with water. This step is important to avoid water damage.
How to Maintain the Look of the Marble Floor
Marble surfaces require proper care to preserve the look. Here are some tips to preserve the aesthetics of the marble tiles in the bathroom.
- Remember that the marble tile surface is porous. It can absorb standing water that can lead to discoloration and stains. So, you need to keep the marble surface dry.
- Consider mopping the bathroom regularly to avoid standing water. You must start mopping from the edges and work your way to the center. This strategy will prevent the spreading of the liquid.
- After cleaning the marble tiles with a detergent, you should rinse and then wipe the floor immediately. Never let a wet marble surface air dry as water and cleaning solution will get absorbed resulting in discoloration.
- You must always use a clean cloth to dry the marble surface. Also, you should use little water when washing to avoid damage to the marble tiles. The extra step can make the cleaning process a bit difficult. But taking precautions will be worth it as it will protect the sensitive surface of the marble tiles.
- Always select a pH-neutral detergent when cleaning the floor. An acidic solution or alkaline can cause damage to the marble surface. Never use vinegar for cleaning marble surfaces as it is acidic. Some of the safe cleaners you can use to clean marble tiles in the bathroom include:
- Citrus cleaners containing lemon or orange extract
- Ceramic floor cleaners
- pH-neutral soap
- Don’t drag furniture across the bathroom floor as it can cause scuff marks. Moreover, you should also not drag sneakers with a rough bottom over the marble tiles. Use a felt pad dipped in water or mild detergent to remove scuff marks.
- Ordinary household cleaning detergent is not recommended for marble tiles. The chemicals are acidic that can etch your marble and remove the shine.
- You should consider placing mats and runners at the entrance and exit of the bathroom with marble tiles.
- Avoid circular motions when cleaning the surface with a microfiber cloth or mop. This is important to avoid damage to the marble tiles.
- Apply sealant to the marble tiles in the bathroom. This will protect the marble from staining. You don’t have to contact a professional for sealing the marble tiles. You can buy sealants at your local hardware store, Home Depot, and Amazon.
Regular cleaning is the key to preserving the beauty of marble tiles in the bathroom. You must be diligent about cleaning the marble tiles. Mop the surface regularly and keep it dry at all times.
If your marble tiles in the bathroom look dull, it is recommended that you call a professional marble cleaner. Professional cleaners will re-polish the entire marble tiles.
Re-polishing of the marble floor will help restore the shine of the surface.
Other articles you may also like: