When you don’t have ample space, the best idea is to be innovative and creative with what’s available.
This mainly goes for small homes where bedrooms are insufficient. This is where garages become more useful.
Since garages are normally underutilized, you can easily make use of it by converting them into a bedroom.
Whether you’re looking to create a cozy guest room, a private retreat, or a rentable space, transforming your garage into a bedroom can be a cost-effective and relatively simple process. However, doing so requires a number of tasks.
You will need to fix up the floors, insulate walls, eliminate clutter, and install heating or cooling. There are also specific considerations you need to make before starting this project.
So, without further ado, here is everything about how to make a garage into a bedroom.
Things To Consider Before Converting Garage to Bedroom
Before we discuss how to convert your garage into a bedroom, there are certain things to consider. This will allow you to understand whether this decision is best for you.
This job is not an easy one and will require careful planning.
It’s not also cheap, so thinking clearly before going ahead with this remodel is essential. Let’s take a look at what to consider:
Is It Legal?
First and foremost, you need to check with your city rules whether turning your garage into a bedroom is allowed. Since you are changing how a garage will be used, you most likely need a permit.
You will need to provide a floor plan for the bedroom in order to apply for the permit.
You will also need to pay a certain amount for it. Once you get the permit, there will be specific rules about the layout and design of the bedroom you will need to follow.
You will also need to communicate with your insurance provider about the changes. Furthermore, changes in the assessed value of your home may have tax implications.
Is It Cheap?
Converting your garage to a bedroom will likely be costly and cause a dent in your wallet.
The final figure will depend on the amount of remodeling needed and the condition of the garage. The average cost can range from $6,000 to $19,000.
Other factors that might affect the overall cost of the remodeling include the type of bedroom you are constructing, whether plumbing will be required, and more.
How Long Will It Take?
Again, this largely depends on the amount of transformation and construction needed.
On average, it can take around 4-6 weeks. You will need to spend time planning, and then most of the remaining time will depend on the execution of these plans.
Will It Add Value To My Home?
When done the right way, converting your garage to a bedroom will definitely add value to your home.
The amount of value depends on the number of additions you make, the cost you put in, design features, and more.
If you followed all guidelines and got a permit, it might add value.
Moreover, if the garage is not used by other residents of the building for parking, then the value would likely be added.
What Type of Room Can A Garage Become?
This depends entirely on you. A garage remodel entirely customizable, and you can turn it into a variety of rooms. Some ideas include:
- Study room
- Master bedroom
- Art studio
- Family room
- Movie room
Is It The Right Option For Me?
You should consider turning your garage into a bedroom when:
- The garage is easily transformable in terms of construction and adding structural features
- If adding a heating or cooling solution to the bedroom is in your budget- since HVAC is essential
- If plumbing is possible in the case that you are building a bathroom or en-suite
- If you have an alternative parking space outside the house or to store other items that are normally kept in the garage
How To Convert A Garage Into A Bedroom
Now that you have considered all the crucial factors, it’s time to begin your garage transformation. The essential part of this entire process is the planning.
You need to spend ample amounts of time in creating a plan that includes a checklist and all possible costs with remodeling.
Here is how you can convert your garage to a bedroom:
It’s essential to set out your plans beforehand. What kind of bedroom do you want?
Do you want a lot of windows? Do you want carpeting?
Write in detail everything that needs to be done and make a list according to what has to be done first.
Remove All Clutter
The first step in your garage remodeling process is to remove everything from the room and begin with a clean slate. Remove all the big shelves, machines, and all the small clutter you may find.
This will help you to carry out the subsequent tasks of removing walls and flooring. Chances are that your electrical box will be in the garage, too; it’s best that you don’t remove that.
Also read: How to Declutter Your Bedroom (5 Easy Steps)
Clean Garage Floors and Fill Any Cracks
Your garage will need a thorough cleaning after everything has been removed. Use antiseptic washes to clean all cracks and nooks, and wipe down the walls with water.
Doing this will make the rest of the tasks easier.
Moreover, fill any cracks you find in the wall. Whatever repairs the interior of the garage needs, especially with the walls, should be done in this step.
Raise The Flooring
Garage flooring is not exactly suitable for living space, so you will likely need to do something about it.
If you plan to add insulation to your garage turned bedroom, then you have to raise the flooring from the ground as the insulation will go under it.
Carpeting The Floor
This is an optional step and depends entirely on your preferences.
If you are redoing your flooring and making it wooden, then you might not need carpeting. However, carpets are a good option for concrete floors.
- Vinyl flooring is another great option that offers durability and easy maintenance. It comes in several designs and colors, mimicking the look of wood, stone, or ceramic tiles. Vinyl flooring can handle moisture better than carpet, which can be especially useful in a garage bedroom.
- Laminate flooring provides the look of hardwood without the cost or maintenance. It is a budget-friendly alternative that can give your garage bedroom an elegant appearance. Laminate is easy to install and maintain, but, like carpet, it requires a leveled floor with a proper subfloor.
The one drawback of garages is that it typically doesn’t have any windows. To make your bedroom cozier, you must try to install windows if you can.
They will add natural light to the room and provide ventilation.
Insulation In The Walls And Windows
You must improve the insulation in the garage because these rooms are typically much colder.
If you plan to keep the garage door, then it becomes absolutely necessary to get insulation. Insulate the walls, ceilings, and floors.
Moreover, if you have hardwood floors in the house, these can become chillier. So you will need to add more insulation.
Provide Heating and Cooling
Depending on where you live, chances are, you will likely need to install a heating or cooling system.
Adding a ductless system will be the more cost-effective option.
When you put wires through the walls for heating and cooling, it can mess up the entire system. It would also be more expensive.
Other heating options include:
- Heater: A space heater can be an affordable and portable solution, making it easy to move around when needed. Just make sure to choose one with safety features, such as a tip-over switch and overheating protection.
- Radiant heat: Radiant heating systems provide warmth through the floor, making it a comfortable option for bedrooms. This heating method is energy-efficient and can be easily installed below the finished flooring.
Upgrade Electrical Panel
Garages typically don’t have electrical panels and sockets in the walls because they are not exactly livable spaces.
This is why you will probably need to get electrical panels installed. Install smoke alarms as well to be on the safe side.
Plan for outlets near the bed, at least one on each side, for charging devices and bedside lamps. Include additional outlets near desks, dressers, and any other areas where you may need power.
Turn The Garage Door Into A Wall
This choice depends on your preferences, but turning your garage door to a wall will provide many benefits. It will provide more insulation and significantly help make your garage into a bedroom.
If you don’t want to remove the garage door, you can also consider building a wall in front of the door. The space in between can be utilized for storage.
Consider Adding Light Sources
Add light fixtures in your garage that can provide ample lighting during the night.
You might need to add more light fixtures if you plan not to install any windows or don’t have any in the garage.
Consider the following factors when planning for lighting:
- The size and layout of the room
- The desired atmosphere and mood
- The activities that will take place in the bedroom
Ensure the room has adequate lighting for tasks like reading and dressing, as well as softer, ambient lighting for relaxation.
There are several lighting options to consider, such as:
- Ceiling lights, like recessed or pendant fixtures
- Wall-mounted lights or sconces
- Floor or table lamps
- LED strip lights for accent lighting
Additionally, you might want to install dimmer switches to adjust the brightness of the room according to your preferences.
Add A Closet
What sets a bedroom apart from all other rooms of the house is often the existence of a closet.
Unlike regular bedrooms, garages don’t come with a built-in closet.
Hence you will need to build a closet in the garage or get a premade one if your budget allows.
Upgrade the Walls
Drywall is another important step in the process. Most garages have unfinished walls, so you’ll need to install drywall to create a smooth and finished surface.
Measure and cut the drywall pieces to fit the walls and ceiling, and then secure them with screws to the framing. Remember to finish the seams with joint compound and sand the surface before painting.
Framing is crucial for defining the new room’s layout and making any necessary structural changes.
If your garage already has a solid foundation and frame, you can focus on adding any interior walls or modifying the existing framing to meet your design needs.
Keep in mind that any alterations to the structure will likely require a permit from your local building department, so consult with them before beginning construction.
Paint The Walls
It’s entirely up to you if you want to paint the walls.
However, adding a new, fresh layer of paint can help to make the room look cozier.
If there is limited lighting in your new bedroom, consider painting it light or neutral color. This will make it appear bigger too.
Also read: How To Paint Bedroom Furniture
Design The Bedroom
The last step to your garage transformation is the design. You can customize this as much as you want, depending on your preferences.
Some of the design features you can consider adding include curtains, wallpaper, frames, and furniture.
A helpful tip for designing your bedroom is to make sure that the overall design aligns with the rest of the house. This will help the room appear like an extension of the house.
When converting your garage into a bedroom, one essential aspect to consider is storage.
Efficient storage solutions will help you make the most of the available space and create a clutter-free environment. Here are some ideas to optimize storage in your new bedroom:
- Built-in shelves and cabinets: Utilize the vertical space by installing built-in shelves or cabinets along the walls. This is a practical way to store your belongings, like books, clothes, and personal items.
- Under-bed storage: Choose a bed frame with built-in storage, such as drawers or a lift-up storage compartment. This is an excellent way to store items like bed linens, off-season clothing, or even shoes.
- Wardrobes: Depending on the size of your garage, you might be able to fit a standalone wardrobe or an integrated wardrobe system. This helps to keep your clothes organized and easily accessible.
- Pegboards: A pegboard is a versatile storage option that can be used for hanging items such as hats, bags, or accessories. You can customize the layout and add hooks, baskets, or shelves to suit your needs.
- Storage benches: A storage bench can serve as both seating and storage. It’s a great place to store items like blankets, pillows, or even shoes, while providing additional seating in your bedroom.
Keep in mind that it’s essential to select storage options that match your bedroom’s design and style. By implementing these storage solutions, you can create a well-organized and functional bedroom space in your garage.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the basic steps for turning a garage into a bedroom?
To turn your garage into a bedroom, follow these basic steps:
- Plan the layout and design
- Obtain necessary permits if required
- Inspect and prepare the garage structure
- Add insulation, walls, and flooring
- Install electrical and plumbing systems (if needed)
- Install heating and cooling systems
- Paint and decorate the room
Keep in mind that each garage conversion will require different steps based on your specific needs and goals.
Do I need a permit to convert my garage into a bedroom?
Yes, in most cases you will need a building permit to convert your garage into a bedroom. The permit ensures that your project complies with local building codes and safety regulations.
Always check with your local planning department to see what permits and inspections are required for your project.
What is the most cost-effective way to convert a garage into a bedroom?
To convert a garage into a bedroom inexpensively, consider the following steps:
- Reuse existing materials when possible
- Shop for budget-friendly finishes and furniture
- Do some parts of the project yourself, such as painting or installing flooring
- Hire local professionals or skilled friends for specific tasks, like electrical work
Can I add a bathroom to my garage conversion?
Yes, you can add a bathroom to your garage conversion, but keep in mind this may add to the overall cost and complexity of the project. It will require plumbing installation and possibly additional permits.
Always consult with a professional contractor to determine if adding a bathroom to your garage conversion is feasible and complies with your local building codes.
What are some creative garage to bedroom conversion ideas?
Some creative garage to bedroom conversion ideas include:
- Creating a multipurpose room with a fold-out bed or a Murphy bed
- Incorporating large windows or skylights to bring in natural light
- Adding built-in storage solutions like shelves, cabinets, or closets
- Using a unique design theme to reflect your personality or interests
How can I create a temporary bedroom setup in my garage?
To create a temporary bedroom setup in your garage, try these ideas:
- Set up a privacy screen or curtains to divide the space
- Use a comfortable air mattress or fold-out couch as a bed
- Add floor rugs or mats for warmth and decoration
- Include a portable heater or fan for temperature control
- Bring in a standing lamp and other essentials like a bedside table and chair
Remember, a temporary bedroom setup should be comfortable and functional, but it doesn’t have to be elaborate.
These were all the steps you need to follow if you make your garage a bedroom.
Of course, most of it will require a lot of effort and cost you, but it will be well worth it in the end.
You can consider not removing the garage door, but you will likely need to install insulation in the garage. This will make it a much more livable space, especially during harsher weather.
Other articles you may also like: